Sharing is caring!
Last updated on March 18, 2023 by Toya
Learn how to make this easy keto banana bread with sour cream that tastes so much like banana bread you’ll be surprised it doesn’t have any bananas in it! This keto bread is made with 8 simple ingredients and has just 1.4 grams of net carbs per serving.
This sour cream banana bread recipe has an amazing blend of flavors…rich banana and almond flour flavor. And even though it looks like a simple mix, you have to try it to see how good it is!
Rich and fulfilling with a soft texture, you can serve it for breakfast, dessert or snack. Grill this and pair it with a little cream cheese, pistachio spread or hazelnut spread.
Can I eat bananas on keto?
No, you cannot eat bananas on the keto diet. They are one of the high-carb fruits, which means you will exceed your carb limit if you eat bananas while doing keto.
How many carbs are in bananas?
A medium-ripe banana weighing about 118 g contains about 27 grams of carbohydrates. Since most people on the keto or low-carb diet consume an average of 20 grams of total carbs, one ripe banana will use up that entire allowance, plus some.
What is a good replacement for bananas on keto?
For baking, you can easily replace the bananas with banana extract. This will add great banana flavor without the carbs. If you’re in a hurry, you can check out my favorite sugar-free pure banana extract on Amazon. This one is very popular and I found it best suited my baking needs.
Tips and Tricks for the Best Banana Bread with Sour Cream
- Use xanthan gum in this banana bread recipe. Most keto bakers use xanthan gum to add elasticity to gluten-free bread, which helps prevent the bread from crumbling.
- Let it sit overnight for the best low carb banana bread.
- To speed up the process, mix with an electric mixer fitted with dough hooks.
- You can also add a teaspoon of rum extract to the recipe. It goes wonderfully with banana extract.
- You can use this paste in several ways. You can use it to make keto banana muffins, keto banana waffles, or keto banana pancakes.
- You can even use this dough to make keto banana bread in a skillet. Simply pour the batter into the pan, top with nuts and bake for 25 minutes. The results will be similar to a Clafoutis dessert.
Ingredients for Low Carb Banana Bread with Sour Cream
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup melted and cooled butter
- ¾ cup almond flour
- 3 tablespoons of flax flour
- 1/3 cup powdered erythritol
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of banana extract
How to Make Keto Banana Bread with Sour Cream
To get started, gather all your banana bread ingredients in one place. Then preheat the oven to 350F and line an 8-inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
In a bowl, beat eggs, butter, sugar-free banana extract and sour cream.
Then add the almond flour, flax meal and erythritol powder to the bowl of wet ingredients.
Mix well until combined.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
Bake the bread for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Cool the bread in a loaf pan before serving and slicing.
What else can you add to keto banana bread?
You can add sugar-free chocolate chips or chopped sugar-free chocolate to this low-carb banana bread. You can also add chopped pecans, almonds, or walnuts to the batter if you like. All of these options will add some extra carbs to the recipe.
To make dairy-free banana bread, use nut-based milk and products like almond or coconut milk. You can also use coconut cream and 2 teaspoons of lemon juice instead of sour cream.
Can you make banana bread with coconut flour?
You can’t make it entirely with coconut flour. However, you can substitute half of the almond flour with coconut flour, which will work.
Can this dough be used for banana muffins?
Yes, you can use the dough from this banana bread to make banana muffins. This is an easy way to enjoy keto banana muffins that you can enjoy for breakfast or as a snack. Turning this dough into muffins is also a great visual way to stick to small portions.
How to store
To store your bread without banana, you place it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Use an airtight container to keep the bread as fresh as possible in the refrigerator.
When you’re ready to eat your banana bread from the refrigerator, simply reheat it in the oven at 350F for 3 minutes or in the microwave for 1 minute.
Can you freeze keto banana bread?
Yes, you can freeze this keto banana bread for up to a month. Slice any leftovers, wrap each slice individually in parchment paper, place in a ziplock bag or airtight container and freeze.
When you’re ready to enjoy a slice, place it in the oven at 350F for 10 to 15 minutes or in the microwave for 2 minutes.
More Keto Bread Recipes
Also feel free to check out other keto bread ideas here.
½ cup melted and cooled butter
¾ cup almond flour
3 tablespoons of flax flour
1/3 cup powdered erythritol
¼ cup sour cream
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of banana extract
- To get started, gather all your banana bread ingredients in one place. Then preheat the oven to 350F and line an 8-inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, beat eggs, butter, banana extract and sour cream.
- Then add the almond flour, flax meal and erythritol powder to the bowl of wet ingredients.
- Mix well until combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake the bread for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the bread in a loaf pan before serving and slicing.
Portion: 1 slice
Amount per serving:
Calories: 201Total fat: 19.9gSaturated fat: 9.1gCholesterol: 95mgSodium: 105 mgCarbohydrates: 3.1gNet Carbs: 1.4gFiber: 1.7gSugar: 0.5gProtein: 4.9g