These instant coffee oatmeal are both your breakfast and your morning cup of coffee! So creamy, sweet and delicious. All you need is 8 ingredients and 5 minutes of prep time. Perfect for vegan and gluten-free meal prep and quick breakfasts when you’re on the go!
I love coffee and oatmeal in the morning, so combining the two seemed so natural! And I have to admit that the flavor of these oatmeal is much better than I imagined. It almost reminds me of tiramisu!
And because I love both chocolate mochas and vanilla lattes, I made two versions of these oats so you can choose which one suits you best! Both are equally good. I can’t be wrong.
Why this recipe works
- Soaking oatmeal overnight in oat milk creates the best texture, creamy and silky.
- Instant coffee adds the perfect taste of coffee without the need to take extra time to brew coffee, espresso or cold brew.
- My recipe for vegan caramel mixed with cocoa powder makes the best mocha sauce WFPB! No refined sugar is necessary.
Notes on ingredients
- oatmeal – The best type of oats to use when making overnight oats. They are soft enough to soften overnight in milk, but consistent enough to still leave a hearty and moist texture! Steel-cut oats are too hard and unprocessed to soften properly overnight and instant oats are too processed to retain any texture.
- oat milk – My favorite type of plant-based milk for overnight oats because it is very creamy. Oat milk also has a natural sweet undertone. If necessary, replace it with soy milk or any other unflavored vegetable milk.
- vegan caramel – My homemade 4-ingredient caramel made with Medjool dates! Gives these oats the best sweetness and flavor while keeping the recipe healthy and free of refined sugar.
- cocoa powder – Gives Mocha Flavored Oatmeal the indulgent flavor of chocolate and a boost of antioxidants without the added sugar!
- instant coffee – Easy coffee flavor! I used Folgers Classic Roast Instant Coffee Crystals. If desired, substitute ¼ cup of coffee or cold brew and leave out the ¼ cup of water. You can also substitute two shots of espresso for instant coffee and water for an extra boost of caffeine!
- chia seeds – Perfectly thickens these oatmeal while adding a boost of omegas. I don’t recommend replacing them with flaxseed because it makes the texture of the oats slimy.
- vanilla extract – For the classic vanilla latte flavor. Don’t hesitate to add a little vanilla to the mocha oatmeal too! You can substitute vanilla paste or even scraped fresh vanilla beans.
Step by step instructions
- Add all ingredients to a 16-ounce jar with a lid.
- Mix the ingredients until well incorporated. Make sure all the chia seeds are submerged in the liquid so they can absorb the liquid properly!
- Cover the oats with a tight-fitting lid and refrigerate overnight for at least 6 hours.
- Enjoy it the next morning! Add a little milk, extra sweetener, or coconut whipped cream to make it even more fun.
These oats are meant to be eaten cold straight from the fridge but you can reheat them in the microwave if you prefer! If you like hot oatmeal, you may prefer my recipe for Instant Pot Oatmeal with Steel Cut Oats.
Yes, oatmeal lasts up to 5 days in the refrigerator, so don’t hesitate to prepare 5 servings on Sunday evening and eat them throughout the week! Super awesome and easy.
I really recommend the vegan caramel recipe because it’s super easy to make (10 minutes!) and really makes these oatmeal taste like a latte/mocha.
No, steel cut oats are very different from rolled oats. They take much longer to cook and require more liquid. If you use steel cut oats, these oats will be very chewy and unfavorable in texture.
Quinoa also cannot be substituted because it must be cooked before consumption. You can’t soak raw quinoa like you do oats.
- If you are making this for meal prep, prepare each serving in its own individual pot rather than a large container. This makes it easier to take them with you in the morning.
- Don’t try to substitute caramel. This seriously makes the biggest difference in making this recipe taste like a latte or mocha. I tested this recipe with only maple syrup and other various sweeteners and none compared to the flavor of the oats made with the caramel. This really makes the oatmeal taste like a real coffee shop quality latte!
More Vegan Breakfast Recipes to Try
Easy Overnight Coffee Oatmeal
These overnight oats are the best! Your morning cup of coffee and breakfast all in one! So creamy, healthy and delicious!
Cost: $1.21 per serving
Print the recipe
Rate this recipe
VANILLA OATS LATTE FOR THE NIGHT
Stop your screen from going dark
Prepare the vegan caramel recipe in advance so it’s ready to use.
Mix all ingredients in a 16-ounce jar until completely incorporated.
Cover the oats with a tight-fitting lid and refrigerate overnight for at least 6 hours.
To be enjoyed the next day as is. Add additional milk, non-dairy whipped cream, sweetener, or cocoa nibs, as desired.
- Substitute ¼ cup of coffee or cold brew for instant coffee and water, if desired.
- Do not substitute steel-cut oats for rolled oats.
- Try my recipe for Apple Nachos with leftover caramel.
Portion: 1recipe | Calories: 397kilocalories | Carbohydrates: 78g | Protein: teng | Fat: 9g | Sodium: 754mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 37g
Disclaimer: The nutritional information provided for this recipe is an estimate only. The accuracy of the facts listed is not and cannot be guaranteed.
Photography by: Stacey Gaar
Interactions with readers